Today, Chicago along with most of the Midwest is sitting in the midst of the worst blizzard to cross through the area this winter. This potentially historic blizzard has me along with many other renters spending the day hiding from the chilling gusts and swirling snow outside. However, as this blizzard rages on and many face being snowed in or losing power, a few of those renters will realize that they may not be as prepared for this harsh weather as they thought.
Here are a few tips to help you prepare your apartment for harsh weather.
- Create an Emergency Kit: Be sure that you have an emergency kit ready with essential items, such as a flashlight, clean water, candles, blankets, etc.
- Prepare for Loss of Power: Should you lose power, it will be essential that you have extra blankets to keep warm as well as candles for a light source.
- Stock up on Foodstuffs: If you do get snowed in, you will need enough food to last you until the blizzard ends. You will want to make sure that you have enough nonperishable items to make sure that you still have food to eat without having to prepare it.
- Assemble an Emergency Contact List: In case you are in need of any kind of assistance, create a list of emergency contact numbers including your electric and gas companies as well as the local police and your emergency maintenance contact.
- Buy Essential Portables: In the event that the power does go out, you will need a portable radio and a charged cell phone to stay up-to-date on current updates and to call out in case of emergency.
Hopefully, you will not need any of these items as the blizzard continues on and eventually dissipates, but in this case, its better to be safe than sorry. Good luck and stay safe out there! What other essentials did you pick up for the extreme winter weather?